Built in or before 1901. The northern ends of Howe Street and Collingwood Street were demolished in the 70s, and replaced c.2001-02, by Jubilee Court: sheltered Housing Complex for elderly people.
46 residential homes (37 flats) - 5 built in 1935.
Named after: Vice Admiral Cuthbert Collingwood, 1st Baron Collingwood (26 September 1748 – 7 March 1810) admiral of the Royal Navy, notable as a partner with Lord Nelson in several of the British victories of the Napoleonic Wars, and frequently as Nelson's successor in commands.
Photograph courtesy of Norman Dunn: http://www.oldtyneside.co.uk/
« Back to index | View thread »