Thanks for visiting. Please recommend us
[ Post a Response | Thanks for visiting. Please recommend us ]
Re: William Jobling Memorial in Jarrow
Tthe oldest surviving pub inJarrow is the Greeyhhound in Hedworth Lane. This is listed in the 1824 Wards Trade Directory.The Publican then wasThomas Robinson a victualler and cartwright,he had a sawpit just opposite the Greyhound alongside the village Smithy.The Robin Hood and Little John also dates back to at least 1824,in 1871 it was renamed the Archers Arms and around 1883 it wa called The Old Robin Hood. The pub stood slightly to the east of present building which was built in 1896, the original builinng became a general dealers shop and it was demolished in 1he 1970's folloing a fire. The new building is now called simply The Robin.How sad afterr all these years.Both pubs appear on the 1841 Ordnance Survey maps
Recommended Local History websites.
www.oldtyneside.co.uk www.gatesheadeast.co.uk, www.donmouth.co.uk and www.hebburn.org