Thanks for visiting. Please recommend us
[ Post a Response | Thanks for visiting. Please recommend us ]
Re: The number 16 Northern bus.
The sixteen ran down the High road from Bill Quay bridge until it reached Campbell Park Road stop where it turned left and carried on until Hedgeley Road where it turned right and carried on past the Fire Station (as was) to Black Road where it turned right.
It then turned left at The Clock. It carried on into Jarrow and stopped by the Coop Funeral establishment.
After that it took a right into Bede Burn Road and went all the way up York Ave until it reached the Shields Road where it progressed to and through the arches.
I THINK !!
I used the 16 a lot when I was "courting" Jean. The stops by the Conservative Club were very convenient.
The last weekday bus from the Con Club,destination Newcastle, was if I recall 11.25pm. I often missed it and walked to Bill Quay regularly.
The 18 to Gateshead was also useful for me. It also stopped at the Con but turned right into Croft Tce thence into the bus station via Monkton Rd etc. It went down Ellison St to the low road where it turned left into Palmer St and then Into Hill St turning right where is stopped at Eltis's (Bowmans to youngsters!)
So if I missed it at Con Club I could stroll down Park Road to Eltis's and pick it up there.
- The number 16 Northern bus. - Eddy Nesbitt. June 12, 2018, 9:07 am
- Re: The number 16 Northern bus. - Steve in Australia June 12, 2018, 9:33 am
- Re: The number 16 Northern bus. - alan la ruste June 12, 2018, 10:10 am
- Re: The number 16 Northern bus. - Mac Cummings June 12, 2018, 10:48 am
- Re: The number 16 Northern bus. - Marion Scaife June 12, 2018, 7:32 pm
- Re: The number 16 Northern bus. - Lloyd eNZed June 12, 2018, 10:12 pm
« Back to index | View thread »
Recommended Local History websites.
www.oldtyneside.co.uk www.gatesheadeast.co.uk, www.donmouth.co.uk and www.hebburn.org