18 residential homes (Nos. 1-18) - 7 built in 1946.
In 1850, this was Sheep Field, named ‘Old Mans Close’, occupied by Matthew Laws, and leased from landowner Cuthbert Ellison.
Named after: The village of Penshaw also known as Painshaw or Pensher, is an area of the metropolitan district of the City of Sunderland, in Tyne and Wear, England. Historically in County Durham, it derives its name from the Cumbric Pen, meaning hill or ridge, and the Saxon Shaw, a wood or thicket; thus, Penshaw is the wooded hill.
Penshaw is well-known locally for Penshaw Monument, a prominent landmark built in 1844 atop Penshaw Hill, which is a half-scale replica of the Temple of Hephaestus in Athens.