This street, although known by many locals as Queen Street, seems never to have been officially named, which was quite common in those far-off days of the twenties and beyond, when towns were still developing.
The entrance to Queen Street (via the station approach) has now been blocked to vehicles - it ran down beside the platform. Although Queen Street is still there, it is now part of the Metro car park and still runs down to the platform.
The old Queen Street platform was on the south side of the railway (that being the side that takes folk to Newcastle). There used to be a metal bridge that led over to the South Shields side (north side - that being the side that takes folk to South Shields - though the platform has now been moved westwards, over to the other side of the bridge, which is entered from the top of the bridge).
Originally the two platforms faced each.
In 1850, this was arable land, known as West Long Field, occupied by John Redhead, and leased from landowner Cuthbert Ellison.
Named after: Queen of England.
« Back to index | View thread »