Thanks for visiting. Please recommend us
[ Post a Response | Thanks for visiting. Please recommend us ]
No Politics or bad language please
Re: Some Metupa pics from Norman's website...
The stadium at Monkton was opened on 15th August 1891 by the Jarrow Amateur Bicycling Club. Their previous home had been the cricket pitch in the West Park, which in those days extended to the boundary of Mayfield (North View and South View had not yet been built). The cycle club fell out with the cricket club and created the new ground in Monkton. A member of the cycle club, David Morrison, thought the new venue would be an ideal home for a football club, and in 1894 Jarrow FC joined the Northern Alliance. The club had mixed fortunes, going bust more than once, and moved to other grounds in the early 1900ís (Curlew Road, and latterly Campbell Park). The ground at Monkton became derelict until in 1937 it was refurbished as one of the projects overseen by the Surrey Fund, which also created Jarvis Park.
Recommended Local History websites.
www.oldtyneside.co.uk www.gatesheadeast.co.uk, www.donmouth.co.uk and www.hebburn.org