WALSH AVENUE: Hebburn Colliery. Accessed via Argyle Street. 104 homes (Nos.1-105).
Replaced Wilson Court flats, which in turn, replaced ‘The Three Streets’: ‘Harvey Street’, ‘Arthur’ & ‘Frederick Street’: pit houses, built in the 1870s and demolished 1965/66.
Named after: Fr James Walsh - Parish Priest at St Aloysius since 1955. He was ordained to the priesthood at St Kieran’s College, Kilkenny, Ireland on 10th June 1928. He has been tireless in his efforts to always obtain the best for the children and the people of St Aloysius. One of the first tasks he undertook was the building of ‘Derwent Road Hall’ as a Mass centre, for that expanding end of the parish, in 1958. His vision was that the hall would be part of a school and parochial centre. However, that did not materialise. Quarry Road hall had been built the previous year as a Scout Hall and Youth Centre. A lot of time and energy was used by Fr Walsh in the negotiations with the local town Council concerning the ‘site’ for a new Catholic secondary school. The outcome of these discussions was, that the site for the school was switched from Victoria Road to Mill Lane, in order to allow the Council to build the swimming baths and Civic Centre on the original school site. Fr Walsh managed to include in his negotiations with the Council an area on the new site for the building of a presbytery and church. St James’ presbytery and church was opened in 1967. Fr Walsh next turned his attention to the Infant and Junior schools in St Aloysius. A new nursery unit was added to the Infant School in 1979, With the reliable assistance of the head-master of the Junior School, Fr Walsh continued his campaign for permission to build a new Junior School. Persistence eventually succeeded and work began on the new Junior School early in 1979. The school was opened in 1980 on a site adjacent to the Infant School on Argyle Street. This left the old school site available for development. Fr Walsh, having canvassed the views of many in the parish, decided it was best to demolish the old school and build a new parish centre on the site. The new Parish centre was opened in 1984. In preparation for the centenary celebrations the roof of the Church and other essential work was carried out at a cost of almost £70,000. Fr Walsh celebrated the diamond jubilee of his ordination in 1988.
The 3 Streets...........................................................................................................Walsh Avenue: