By 1923 it had been re-named Empire Theatre again and had dropped the showing of films as part of the programme as the projection box had been removed. In 1931 a projection box was built at the rear of the stage, allowing films to be screened again. The final stage show “Piccadilly Nights” was on 29th April 1933 and the Empire Theatre was closed.
It was taken over by the Black family in 1935 and was altered to the plans of architect Edwin M. Lawson, re-opening as Black’s Regal Cinema on 19th October 1935. It had been equipped with a Compton 2Manual/6Ranks organ. In 1943 it was taken over by the Oscar Deutsch chain of Odeon Theatres Ltd. and was re-named Odeon on 16th June 1945.
The Odeon presented its first live show in over twenty years when a variety show headed by Eddie Calvert (and his golden trumpet), supported comedian Jimmy James and Billy Anthony played for a week from 19th September 1955. It was then back to cinema use until it was closed by the Rank Organisation on 30th June 1962 with Frank Sinatra in “Lonely are the Brave”. The Compton organ was sold to a Mr. A. Manning who lived in Farnborough, Hampshire.
It was converted into a Top Rank Bingo Club, which operated into the early-2000’
The building is still there Alex
M&S Used to Occupy it
« Back to index | View thread »