Thanks for visiting. Please recommend us
[ Post a Response | Thanks for visiting. Please recommend us ]
No Politics or bad language please
St Andrews Church Header in 1918
Posted by Norman Dunn on January 15, 2019, 9:44 am
When that photo was taken, the Church and Institute was only aboout 40 yrs old.It had changed from a honey coloured sandstone to sooty black in that short time. It just shows how filthy the air was that our poor families were breathing.
That was why the Vicar of St Cuthbert's at the top of Ellison St had his Vicarage built out in the countryside, away from the riverside Industry.
All the old sandstone buildings were black like that, until they were pressure washed in the 1970s.Scroll down to see it cleaned up.
Recommended Local History websites.
www.oldtyneside.co.uk www.gatesheadeast.co.uk, www.donmouth.co.uk and www.hebburn.org