Thanks for visiting. Please recommend us
[ Post a Response | Thanks for visiting. Please recommend us ]
No Politics, bad language, please
Re: River Shipyards
Summed up correctly, Barry. Between 1885 and 1925 when it failed financially Wood-Skinner built over 230 vessels. The partially completed hull of their last ship, a collier, can be seen at the top left corner of the photo and it remained there to rust away until finally broken up in the late 1930s. The yard was acquired by National Shipbuilders Security Ltd in 1939 and was sold at auction in April that year.
Recommended Local History websites.
www.oldtyneside.co.uk www.gatesheadeast.co.uk, www.donmouth.co.uk and www.hebburn.org