Re: Albert Road (History of)
Posted by Barry Cram on February 3, 2018, 11:57 pm, in reply to "Albert Road (History of)"
Edited by administrator Admin3 February 4, 2018, 12:11 am
Hello Gary, |
There are some relevant photographs on Norman Dunn's website, here: http://www.oldtyneside.co.uk/
Just type in 'Albert R' into the search engine:
You will find many photographs like this one, showing the properties:
This is Albert Road crossing, looking towards Hebburn. On the left is the Shed:
The following 1958 map shows No.180 to 220 Albert Road, Jarrow:
Information from 'The Streets of Jarrow':
ALBERT ROAD: Built in or before 1881. 174 properties - 161 residential.
Named after: Prince Albert the Prince Consort (26 August 1819 -14 December 1861), on the occasion of his wife, Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee. Albert Road was originally named Gateshead Road. It became Shields Road after crossing into Hebburn - reference found in Newcastle Courant, 4 May 1883. Interestingly, the road in Hebburn was still named Shields Road as late as 1892, but by 1899 it appears in the press as Victoria Road.
Club: St. Bede's Chambers, business Centre (Albert Road/Hill Street) previously St. Bede's Parochial Institute. This was formerly the Co-op Bank.