Re: Streets of Hebburn ~ Maxton Court…
Posted by Barry Cram on May 12, 2018, 4:43 pm, in reply to "Re: Streets of Hebburn ~ Maxton Court…"
Hello Peter, |
Yes, that correct, thank you for that - Wilson Court was on the other side of the lines, where Walsh Avenue is today.
Here is a piece from the book, Streets of Hebburn:
WILSON COURT: See SCHOOL STREET FLATS: north side of School Street.
Named after: Harold Wilson. British Labour politician. P.M. (1974–1976), (b.1916-1995).
SCHOOL STREET FLATS: North side of School Street: High-rise flats, which were bordered on the west by the railway line, the north by Wagonway Road, the south by School Street, and the east by an open field and then Brancepeth Road. Consisting of - from west to east: Argyle Shopping Precinct, Community Centre, and Wilson Court, which consisted of about 10 blocks.
These flats were built on land previously occupied by - from west to east: Harvey Street, Arthur Street and Frederick Street, and nearly Smokey Row, which was just to the east of Frederick Street, where the field now borders Wagonway Road.
This whole area - once occupied by the three streets and Wilson Court - is now occupied by Walsh Avenue.