Re: Hilda Terrace, Redhead Terrace and Patrick's Place...
Posted by Barry Cram on March 11, 2019, 8:50 am
Hello Don, |
Here is some information showing the naming of the buildings at Redhead Terrace over the years - more can be viewed for free in the book, ‘The Streets of Hebburn’, here: http://hebburnarchives.info/
REDHEAD TERRACE: (On 1871-190 1 Censuses).
Built in or before 1871.
District No. 26: (Hebburn - St. Cuthbert):
Redhead Terrace (not numbered) 23 dwellings.
District No. 30 (Hebburn - St. Cuthbert):
Redhead Terrace (numbers 1, 3, 5) 3 houses. Occupier: Ann Tibbo: Grocer.
Redhead Terrace (numbers 8, 2, 4, 6, 7) 5 houses.
Redhead Terrace (numbers 9-14) 6 houses.
Redhead Terrace (number 15) Grocers Shop.
Redhead Terrace (number 16) Grocers Shop.2 houses.
Redhead Terrace (number 17) Occupier: John Patrick.
Redhead Terrace (number 19-27) 9 houses.
[Note: same people living in same numbered properties when street name changed].
District No. 32 (Hebburn - St. Oswald’s):
Nos. 1&2: House & Grocer Shop: Occupier: George Tibbo: Grocer. Born Felling Shore.
Nos. 3-6: Four Families residing.
Nos. 7&8: House & Grocer Shop: Occupier: Robert Chrisp: Grocer. Born South Shields.
Nos. 9-24: Twenty Seven Families residing.
12th June, 1895:
NAMES AND NUMBERS OF STREETS:
That the Surveyor have authority to procure the names and numbers of the various streets and have the same affixed as soon as possible: That the buildings near to the Colliery known as Readhead Terrace, Hilda Terrace and Patrick's Buildings for the future be called ‘Hilda Terrace’.
Census 1901: Population 20,901:
District No. 42 (Hebburn - St. Oswald’s):
Nos. 1&2: Occupier: Mary Tibbo: Grocer.
Nos. 3-13: Twenty Four Families residing.
Census 1911: Population 21,763:
Redhead Terrace, was shown as Hilda Terrace on
Redhead Terrace included Patrick’s Place [Shop].
District No. 23 (Hebburn, East Ward - St. Oswald’s):
Nos. 1&2: Private House & Shop: Mrs Sibbo. [This used to be number 1&2 Redhead Terrace]
Nos. 3, 4, 5 & 6: Private Houses.
Nos. 7&8: Private House & Shop: Mrs Patrick. [This later became Patrick’s Place - a shop].
Nos. 9 & 10: Private Houses.
Nos. 11, 11, 12, 12, 13, 13, 14, 14, 15, 15, 16, 16, 17, 17, 19, 19, 20, 20, 21, 21, 23 & 24: All flats.
In 1910: These properties were owned by Ann & Mary Alice Tibbs.
1914: Commercial Properties:
Patrick Elizabeth (Mrs.), Beer Retailer, Redhead Terrace, Hebburn Colliery.
Tibbo Alice (Mrs.), Grocer, Redhead Terrace, Hebburn Colliery.
Note: Although maps show this street as ‘Redhead Terrace, Hebburn regular, Lilian – our living time machine - remembers a nameplate on this building that read: ‘Readhead Terrace.’
The west half of the terrace was demolished between 1938/41.
About 1958, some of the houses on the east end of Redhead Terrace were demolished, leaving Patrick’s Place (Nellie’s shop).
Named after: Redhead family - Hebburn farmers that once worked this land.
HILDA TERRACE: See Redhead Terrace.
In 1910: These properties were owned by Hebburn U. D. C.
1948: Polling Dist B. Par. of Hebburn. East Ward.
HILDA TERRACE: NO.
Reddin, Richard Edmund 19
Downey, Raymond E. 19
PATRICK’S PLACE: See Redhead Terrace and Hilda Terrace.
In 1910: These properties (Nos.6, 7&8 and 19 Back) were owned by Elizabeth Patrick. [This used to be 7&8 Hilda Terrace]