Re: Header Photo 'Then & Now'
Posted by Barry Cram on April 23, 2019, 10:12 pm, in reply to "Re: Header Photo 'Then & Now'"
Hello Lloyd, |
Here is some information on the tall building in the photograph: Durham Court:
DURHAM COURT: Hebburn Newtown - replaced part of the old Thistle Street.
The building contractor was Stanley Miller. Though some flats are known to have been occupied in March 1973, the completion date is recorded as 1974.
Stands alone on a plot of land, adjacent to Victoria Road West, and until very recently, was a near neighbour of the Roadhouse pub, which was demolished in 2016.
Nineteen floors: 111 residential flats: 37 one-bedroom, and 74 two-bedroom.
In 1850, this was arable land, named ‘The Reins’, occupied by Thomas and Robert Stothard, and leased from landowner Cuthbert Ellison.
Named after: County Durham in North East