Re: Professional boxing in Jarrow
Posted by Barry Cram on May 6, 2019, 11:01 am, in reply to "Professional boxing in Jarrow"
Hello Brian, |
Here is some information from the book, The Streets of Jarrow:
EDGAR STREET: Built in or before 1881. Demolished c.1960 to make way for the roundabout and flyover on the A185 in the centre of Jarrow.
Edgar Street/Primitive Methodist Chapel. In 1928 the Methodist Chapel on the corner of Ellison Street and Edgar Street became the Jarrow St. Kilda’s Young Men’s Institute. It was once a hub of community life in Jarrow. In the 1950s, it became Jarrow Community Association and Operatic Society. Apart from the amateur dramatic society it also incorporated dancing, wrestling, boxing, Judo classes (some under Joe Metcalfe who also did swimming lessons in Jarrow baths), badminton & table tennis (at County Championship level) and gymnastics on a Sundays under Jock Byers (Boys) and Monica Rutherford (Girls).
When the Methodist Chapel - then Jarrow Community Association and Operatic Society & St. Kilda’s - was demolished (1970s), the Jarrow Community Association and Operatic Society moved to today’s Community Centre in Cambrian Street, and, alas, St. Kilda’s ceased to exist.
Also, you can find some local boxers here: