Counterpoint ... Gonzaga*
Posted by ab75 on February 17, 2017, 8:52:29, in reply to "Let's be 100% honest, the ceiling is reached at Wichita State."
He took a crew of lesser recruited kids and did a sterling job turning them into a contender.
But even as bad as Illinois and Arkansas are now (and I think you have to throw LSU into that too), history has shown these programs can compete for high level talent, win big time leagues, and earn #1 seeds in the NCAA Tournament.
And a school's ability to prove it can earn multiple #1 seeds, and/or consistent Top 4 seeds (as we used to ) is more telling of a P5 program's abilities than a random F4 coming from a small league.
His window, as good as he has been, is limited. It only takes 1 bad year, and a handful of years before an elite job opens before the opportunity has slipped away.
My guess is Indiana is already working on him, and they'll can Crean if they know they've got him.
Message Thread | This response ↓|
- Well this is an intriguing blurb (coaching search) - DT February 17, 2017, 7:00:53
- If we don't get a home run hire, I really want Kevin Keatts* - Blazer February 17, 2017, 12:42:44
- Grayson Allen news - bjl63 February 17, 2017, 10:35:45
- Parrish on North Carolina State job - Detlef February 17, 2017, 7:43:01
- I mean, I get his point, and he's not necessarily wrong - Blazer February 17, 2017, 12:53:43
- "You have to be a truly special coaching talent to win big consistently at NCSU (w/o cheating)." - osklister February 17, 2017, 9:42:27
- if he hasn't made the Tournament in 2 years, he deserves to get fired - bbonb February 17, 2017, 9:13:02
- As was noted yesterday, the expectations in our fanbase are very similar to theirs - uofi1998 February 17, 2017, 8:47:04
- I think our sense of history is skewed here though - Blazer February 17, 2017, 12:59:40
- I'm hoping that the Chicago concerns are water under the bridge - TarheelIllini February 17, 2017, 10:26:21
- it seems like they're a level up in nuttiness from us. groce's tenure has been far worse than gott* - cpsteine February 17, 2017, 10:23:32
- I realize it's a complex issue but I think having Chicago in the state is an advantage. - Warrin'_Illini February 17, 2017, 8:56:32
- If John Groce had the track record of even Gottfried at NCSU - Ron McDon February 17, 2017, 8:54:23
- It helps that Whitman is at the start of what's shaping up to be a long tenure. - opossum jenkins February 17, 2017, 8:52:11
- Damn* - opossum jenkins February 17, 2017, 7:55:54
- perfect place for Clappy * - Pooter February 17, 2017, 7:55:29
- Thamel has all the contacts - LWillhite February 17, 2017, 7:21:48
- I do think this is the year Lorenzo Romar gets the boot. - opossum jenkins February 17, 2017, 7:16:10
« Back to index | View thread »