that was mostly Federal troops, i.e. the 101st Airborne in Little Rock
Posted by illiniranger on February 17, 2017, 10:26:33, in reply to "was the NG used in the South during the Civil Rights era or am I thinking of another body?*"
There have been big changes in LEOs since the 1950s-60s. The Feds are more robust. The states are more robust. You probably don't need any troops in this era.
One thing that you might do with the ARNG in the case of major civil unrest is put them on critical infrastructure as force protection. For example, there's major unrest in an area and there is a bridge, or a power plant, or a hydroelectric dam or something like that you want to prevent from being damaged. Just putting a company of Nat Guard guys there will redirect the rioters in another direction. You can put a couple of cops with the Nat Guard guys to actually make any arrests you needed to.
What i just described happened in Ferguson, MO. The Governor of MO activated one company of ARNG guys and they guarded some of the local government buildings to prevent them from being destroyed or damaged. These buildings were also far enough away from the action to keep them out of it. Freed up a lot of LEOs to stop guarding the buildings and go start controlling the situation.
That's miles away from actual law enforcement.
there are a lot of reasons this is a bad idea. The three biggest:
1) politicizes the US Army - these guys will be on State duty but undoubtedly wearing their uniforms. We don't want our soldiers associated with domestic policy that is this divisive.
2) NG soldiers aren't LEOs, and they aren't equipped like LEOs. There will be some really bad enforcement and a lot of big mistakes made.
3) state active duty soldiers get paid far less than the minimum wage (for lower enlisted guys it's usually less than $100/day for 24 hour round the clock mobilization.) this will be a big hardship for guys that have a good job and get called up for it. going to create big retention/morale issues in the affected units.
Message Thread | This response ↓|
- this is what i feared would happen with deportations - illiniranger February 17, 2017, 9:47:26
- was the NG used in the South during the Civil Rights era or am I thinking of another body?* - reggiedunlop February 17, 2017, 10:20:17
- that was mostly Federal troops, i.e. the 101st Airborne in Little Rock - illiniranger February 17, 2017, 10:26:33
- There'll be a lot of pictures like the Elián González one* - ECEIllinois February 17, 2017, 10:09:47
- This seems like something to float out to distract and then deny* - MarshMac February 17, 2017, 9:55:51
- Has there been reporting on National Guard coming to Chicago to shoot all the black people yet - groupielite February 17, 2017, 9:54:06
- Plus, it's fascist as ####* - elportero February 17, 2017, 9:51:33
- Ugh* - KingTalkyTiki February 17, 2017, 9:49:36
« Back to index | View thread »