I think a dealer guy told me once that a certain level of car would end up being sold
to a Carmax type place (or other used car dealer) anyway. So maybe going straight to them just cut out the middle man.
My car has a reported accident on it thanks to the person who hit our car in the Northwestern Hospital Parking lot (they reported it, so I can't be too mad, but they reported it to the campus police). That's pretty much an automatic drop in offer from the dealer, and something they'll never try to resell. But Carmax will. Definitely something to consider before trying to buy something new this summer.
Is it a hard-and-fast 10%, 15%, etc.? Or are there break points on say age or brand.
TIA. Inquiring minds want to know.
Message Thread | This response ↓|
Iím selling a car. I have questions - Dikta February 11, 2019, 14:52:25
- Re: Iím selling a car. I have questions - Illinibuck11 February 11, 2019, 15:37:10
- Sold mine to my next door neighbor, made things simple. Try that. * - larue33 February 11, 2019, 15:31:35
- You can do what my gf did a few weeks ago and just slam it into a median - IlliniJuice07 February 11, 2019, 15:28:25
- Go to their bank --- get cash* - MtHoodIllini February 11, 2019, 15:20:24
- as JDL said, straight cash homey* - Mrap24 February 11, 2019, 15:18:43
- NC requires that the sale is notarized - TarheelIllini February 11, 2019, 15:12:39
- Secondary question: what sort of a haircut will you get by going to Carmax, etc? - osklister February 11, 2019, 15:04:59
- Probably depends on the value of the car - DT February 12, 2019, 8:42:26
- Carmax out performed my dealer on my Jaguar trade by like $4500. I was happy with Carmax* - LovetheChief February 11, 2019, 15:19:52
- In my limited experience, I think it was about 15-20% on the truck I sold 5 years ago. - Waka February 11, 2019, 15:08:57
- Ryno sold his Pathfinder for 33% higher than the dealer trade in offer at CarMax. It was amazing.* - eta February 11, 2019, 15:06:51
- I think a dealer guy told me once that a certain level of car would end up being sold - Gene Parmesan February 11, 2019, 15:14:12
- Well, that certainly answers that! TY. - osklister February 11, 2019, 15:10:58
- Never sold, but bought privately a couple years ago. - EffinIllini February 11, 2019, 14:56:50
- Bag with a dollar sign on it is 100% legit. No need to look inside* - timmer February 11, 2019, 14:56:14
- always request payment in diamonds (nm) - IlliniSax05 February 11, 2019, 14:54:41
- I'd only take a cashier's check, and call the bank before you hand over the title. - Illiniphil February 11, 2019, 14:54:35
- Cold hard cash * - jdl February 11, 2019, 14:54:26
- I've usually met at my bank, and made them bring a cashier's check with them.* - illfan23 February 11, 2019, 14:54:11
- third party checks are preferred* - NastyBoyd February 11, 2019, 14:53:41
« Back to index | View thread »