- Guns N' Roses were still very much the biggest band in the world, 2 full years after Appetite For Destruction came out.
- Paula Abdul was not a joke, she was an ex-Laker girl set to take over the world
- Milli Vanilli were soon to become a joke and already hated by everyone
- Michael Jackson's Bad was a fairly big deal, even though critics considered it a "flop" because it didn't top the most popular album ever made
- George Michael was a guy you heard people talk about more so than you ever heard his songs
- Outside of a few novelties like Young MC, Tone Loc, and Heavy D And The Boyz, rap was barely a presence in the mainstream. Sadly, it took Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer the following year to take the fledgling genre to the top of the charts
- New Kids On The Block were seemingly everywhere, yet I didn't know anybody who liked them other than very young girls
- Absolutely nobody gave a single good goddamn about R.E.M., The Cure, or U2. And I guess "Batdance" happened? Yeah, that checks out.