What's the board's opinion on Tool?
Posted by Ken on March 23, 2018, 3:47 pm
I'd never listened to them before, and decided to check out their stuff. Only 4 albums and an EP so that's a pretty manageable discography.
Kinda feel like I'm missing something considering how highly regarded they are. They've got instrumental chops for sure, and I dig some of the ways they play around with time signatures and stuff, but that's nothing I haven't heard before from King Crimson or whoever else. Beyond that they just seem kinda OK to me. Not a ton of memorable riffs or anything ("Schism" being the notable exception), vocals just kinda average for metal. Nothing really all that exceptional.
Is there something wrong with me that I felt like they kind of seemed like they were missing some dorky Jordan Rudess keyboards?
- They were one of my favorite bands back in high school. I mostly think they're just ok, now. - nieh March 30, 2018, 12:58 pm
- I agree with Prindle for the most part - Mod Lang March 28, 2018, 4:59 am
- I really dig them, but I confess only one of their albums could be called great - Musicman March 24, 2018, 2:46 pm
- Re: What's the board's opinion on Tool? - Jimbob March 24, 2018, 10:45 am
- Aenima and Lateralus are all-time greats - Matt March 24, 2018, 2:30 am
- I'd rather go to the source and listen to Discipline instead (nt) - dok March 23, 2018, 9:23 pm
- Re: What's the board's opinion on Tool? - Joe H. March 23, 2018, 8:13 pm
- I liked their music videos - Pugeye March 23, 2018, 5:27 pm
- They're okay. - B. D. March 23, 2018, 5:26 pm
- I picked up Ænima because they were compared to King Crimson - Tabernacles E. Townsfolk March 23, 2018, 4:00 pm
- I mostly agree. - Joe March 23, 2018, 3:55 pm