"I said most of the film meandered along and was wasn't bad, but that the last 15 minutes or so really ruined everything, and I gave a fairly detailed explanation of why."
Don't think I saw that post (was looking through old Oscar noms threads but didn't notice too many posts that were specifically about "3 Billboards"). I just saw the one where you said it was the type of film that never would have even been nominated in the old days, when there were abut half the amount of Best Picture noms but maybe you were speaking more to the habits of Academy voters than the quality of the film.
But anyway, yes, the last 15 minutes or so was especially bad but this ain't no "10 Cloverfield Lane" case where a decent film is ruined by its ending- it was already ruined. The shittiness of the rest of it made it clear to me early on that the ending was not going to be satisfactory.
Here's some specific things I hated (SPOILERS, obv):
- the scene where Rockwell doesn't notice the police station's on fire (because he's wearing earbuds) until a molotov cocktail actually hits him (yeah let's stop beating around the bush and make it a full-on live action cartoon already)
- the scene where McDormand's ex grabs her around the neck and her son puts a knife to his throat (domestic violence played for laughs bros!)
- the fact that McDormand is completely absolved for mutilating the dentist (ok he was being vaguely threatening but wasn't he gonna press charges)
- the scene where McDormand suddenly transforms into a real person when Woody coughs blood in her face, even calling him "baby" (prompting him to order the cops to let her go for mutilating the dentist)
- every single scene with Woody narrating one of his personalized suicide letters. Cringe-inducing
- the scene where McDormand makes me bunny slippers talk to one another about "crucifying the mother####ers". I felt like crucifying Martin McDonagh for making this thing