Unrelated: Shakespeare question
How are sight rhymes to be pronounced? For instance:
The mantle good,
What, stained with blood?
And the issue there create
Ever shall be fortunate.
I had always taken them to be real, obsolete rhymes (as it wouldn't make sense to have false rhymes for the page when it's a performed medium and most attending would have been illiterate) but it could be that there could be a sound effect for the audience.
If they are real rhymes, how should they be pronounced?
- It occurs to me that recordings of British people doing Shakespeare - Joe July 20, 2018, 6:36 pm
- It probably varies depending on the line - Pugeye July 18, 2018, 8:49 pm
- I don't know but there are videos about "original pronunciation." - Joe July 18, 2018, 6:14 pm
- Re: Unrelated: Shakespeare question - Ken July 18, 2018, 6:01 pm
- Also unrelated - Tabernacles E. Townsfolk July 18, 2018, 5:43 pm