Do you know your neighbors?
Posted by Jason on October 4, 2018, 2:01 am
Looking back at all of the places I've lived, it's kind of amazing to me how often I didn't know my neighbors at all. We all just sort regarded each other with distrust for no reason. And I was absolutely part of the problem. In my early 20s, I could be very introveted. I was wrong. That was bad.
Nowadays, I'm 200% friendly to every neighbor.
The couple who live to the left of me are big animal rescue people and I love animals so we bonded over that. When one of my cats went missing last spring, they helped me find her. We've drank each other's wine. We've had long, rambling conversations. I don't know if we're "bail me out of jail" friends, but we are friends.
Meanwhile, my neighbor to the right is an old woman who wants nothing to do with anyone and will flat-out ignore you if you say hello. I wish it was different, but I try to respect boundaries, so I leave her alone. I don't even know her name.
- Not really - Nick E. October 8, 2018, 10:59 am
- Some of them - Dan Watkins October 6, 2018, 7:27 pm
- It's easy to ignore your neighbors when none of them speak English - Mod Lang October 5, 2018, 11:29 am
- Most of my life I didn't have immediate neighbors. - Joe October 4, 2018, 6:57 pm
- Sorta - Ken October 4, 2018, 2:50 pm
- Generally, no - Pugeye October 4, 2018, 1:56 pm
- City living is a little different - Sam October 4, 2018, 9:09 am
- People in Boston are bad - Norville October 4, 2018, 6:11 pm
- When you walk a dog twice a day, every day, you meet your neighbors - Tabernacles E. Townsfolk October 4, 2018, 1:00 pm
- forgot to mention - Sam October 4, 2018, 9:11 am
- Suburban cyclists are far more respectful of the rules of the road - Mr. X October 6, 2018, 12:06 am
- Bike problems will never go away - Ken October 4, 2018, 3:40 pm
- Yeah that shit's pretty bad in SF - Pugeye October 4, 2018, 2:21 pm
- YES - Jason October 4, 2018, 10:56 am
- Re: YES - Oliver October 4, 2018, 2:32 pm
- Re: YES - Austin October 5, 2018, 1:13 am
- Re: forgot to mention - B. D. October 4, 2018, 9:13 am
- Nope. - B. D. October 4, 2018, 8:39 am