"He became less marketable because of changing attitudes so they decided to break the contract."
That seems to sum it up perfectly, though I selfishly haven't been following the story because of my feelings about Woody (though I definitely can't say for sure that he's innocent- I lean more in that direction but am admittedly torn). I didn't read his daughter's open letter to the NY Times which sparked (reignited?) the controversy in the first place. In fact, I haven't read any articles in full except for the one in this thread (though I also skimmed the related article about actors/actresses who have expressed regret for working with him).
But because I haven't been following the story, I also can't say for sure that nothing new has come to light. The article did make it sound like Ronan Farrow had done more to support his sister than just write his own initial report. And with him being a major player in breaking the Weinstein scandal, maybe the additional credibility *that* story undoubtedly gave him made the public "care more" about Woody, as you put it.
The outcome of this case does seem pretty critical in determining the future of the biz but honestly, I just can't help but focus (or rather, try *not* to focus) on the fact that my favorite filmmaker and one of my key creative influences is potentially a monster. I mean, losing Louis CK sucked but the idea of losing Woody really hurts, even though I haven't seen many of his more recent films.
- I have followed the story - Jason February 8, 2019, 7:27 pm
- Did y'all ever see Moses Farrow's blog? - Sam February 11, 2019, 9:01 am
- That's generally my feeling as well - Pugeye February 9, 2019, 8:08 am
- The Soon-yi thing is way, way worse than you are giving it credit for - Ster February 8, 2019, 9:15 pm
- Re: The Soon-yi thing is way, way worse than you are giving it credit for - Paul C February 11, 2019, 12:09 pm
- Re: The Soon-yi thing is way, way worse than you are giving it credit for - TonyV February 11, 2019, 11:30 am
- Naaaaah - Norville February 12, 2019, 1:41 pm
- I said it was "very f*cked up"! - Jason February 8, 2019, 11:52 pm
- Also, letís be honest - Ster February 8, 2019, 9:20 pm
- Re: "He became less marketable because of changing attitudes so they decided to break the contract." - Joe H. February 8, 2019, 6:03 pm