The following information is from the book, The Streets of Hebburn - if you can help update or correct it, please let me know, thank you:
ARGYLE STREET: Runs from St. Aloysius Church to Walsh Avenue.
Two residential properties: School House and St Cuthbert’s Vicarage, and a number of Commercial Properties
At one time, Argyle Street used to be one of the main streets in Hebburn, comprising residential and commercial properties which were built c.1870s and demolished in the late 1960s and 70s.
Up until about the late 60s, both Hebburn Quay and Hebburn Colliery were vastly populated tight communities - buzzing with life and excitement. Since the main industries disappeared, these two communities have never been the same.
Maisonettes were built at the eastern end in the late 1960s known as School Street flats, which were demolished in the 1980s: Wilson Court was on the north. On the south, was: Attlee, Bondfield, Ellen Wilkinson, Dalton Court, Bevan Court, Gaitskell Court, Hardie Court and Lansbury Court.
Argyle Street Flats: High-rise flats, which were bordered on the west by Caledonian Street, the north by Wagonway Road, the south by Argyle Street, and the east by the railway line.
They consisted of - from west to east: Maxton Court and Shinwell Court, which overlooked Caledonian Street and the Quay School; then Summerskill Court, and Morrison Court, which reached down to the railway, almost touching the present Walsh Avenue. These flats were built on land previously occupied by - west to east: McIntyre Street, Hedley Street, Dunston Street, Edmund Street, Philip Street and Whiteburn Street.
In 1850, Argyle Street was five fields: all arable land, known as ‘West Long Field’, ‘Second Long Field’, ‘Third Long Field’, ‘Fourth Long Field’, and ‘The Long Field’; all occupied by John Redhead, and leased from landowner Cuthbert Ellison.
Named after: Argyll (archaically Argyle) an ancient shire of western Scotland, of ancient origin; also a medieval bishopric with its cathedral at Lismore. There was an Argyllshire constituency of the Parliament of Great Britain from 1708 until 1983.