The following information is from the book, The Streets of Hebburn - if you can help update or correct it, please let me know, thank you:
BONACCORD STREET: Bon Accord Street. Hebburn Quay. Bordered by the Ballast Hill: a landmark, begun in 1786 and created from years of discharged ships’ ballast. This hill was predated by the nearby Halfway Tree: See THE HALF WAY TREE.
One of the first streets built by Andrew Leslie for his workers, between 1861-71.
Bonaccord Street ran down the back of and was parallel with Ellison Street and led down to the new Hebburn Ferry (shown on a map in 1897) - the previous, older ferry landing (built 1850s by Leslie) was at the bottom (east side) of Ellison Street, so Leslie’s workers could go straight into the shipyard. Some of the ferries - in order of use - were named: Hebburn, Wallsend, Fairy Queen, Walker, Mid-Tyne No.1, Mid-Tyne No.2, Mid-Tyne No.3, Tyne Queen, Tyne Princess and Tyne Duchess.
The Bonaccord Street properties were uninhabited by 1911, and so far, research has shown that only the houses on the west side of Bonaccord Street, had the Bonaccord Street address. The Back Ellison Street houses, just happened to back onto Bonaccord Street, and evidence so far shows that Ellison Street was never named Bon Accord or Bonaccord Street.
What remained of these uninhabited, Leslie's-built properties in Bonaccord Street, were used by the Hebburn Mid-Tyne Ferry company as the fitting shop, rope stores, etc. It seems likely that the ferry was the only reason that the Bonaccord Street name, survived as long as it did.
When the ferry service ceased (25 July 1986), all that remained of the old, uninhabited Bonaccord Street properties, were, burnt-out, solid-looking, brick-built premises, with no doors, but bits of broken windows, and fully intact tiled roofs and chimneys. By the 1990s, these properties - one known as the Old House - had out-lasted the ferry (on Bonaccord Street), and all of the Ellison Street, properties, which backed onto Bonaccord Street... even the canteen!