Thanks for visiting. Please recommend us
[ Post a Response | Thanks for visiting. Please recommend us ]
No Politics or swearing and No derogatory remarks about ex Teachers etc.
Re: The man the park is named after
Monkton Stadium was originally opened on 15th August 1891 as a cycling track. It became the home ground of Jarrow FC on 22nd August 1894. The club had mixed fortunes and was wound up on 27th February 1909. Their place in the Northern Alliance was taken over by Jarrow Caledonians whose ground was in Curlew Road. Cycling may have continued at Monkton, but by 1937 the stadium was semi-derelict. Restoring it was one of the Surrey Fund projects to provide work for the unemployed.
( A football club bearing the name of Jarrow returned there in 1946, playing in the Northern Alliance, but it failed to attract enough support, and in March 1949 it was wound up before the end of the season.)
Recommended Local History websites.