Their chapel was in the Colliery, on the western end site of Cross Row, an old house being demolished to make way for the new building. The street later became known as Chapel Row.
In 1837, the Primitive Methodists, with a considerably more substantial society, the Hebburn members decided that it was no longer viable to meet in members' homes and rented accommodation in a school run by Miss Barnfather located at 3 Quality Row. These premises were used for about 6 years until the opening of the first chapel. In 1843, the members decided that it was time that they had a chapel of their own. They contacted the owner of the local colliery, James Easten. This proved to be most worthwhile and resulted in the erection of a chapel on the western end site of Cross Row, an old house being demolished to make way for the new building. The street later became known as Chapel Row.
On 8th March 1872, the "General Havelock Tent" of the Independent Order of Rechabites was founded at the chapel and it was through this that the Durham Rechabite District was formed. James Patterson, then aged 18, was present at the meeting and served Primitive Methodism for 52 years.
Maps courtesy: https://www.old-maps.co.uk/
« Back to index | View thread »