Thanks for visiting. Please recommend us
[ Post a Response | Thanks for visiting. Please recommend us ]
No Politics or swearing and No derogatory remarks about ex Teachers etc.
Re: Header Belsfield school
That map brings back memories. The 'hall' marked to the right hand side of Belsfield Gardens was the 'wooden hut' venue for Jarrow Air Training Corps in the mid 1950s when I was a member. Later, I remember paying a visit when I was on leave, having just completed my 'Square Bashing' at RAF Padgate, Lancs. I was asked by the 2nd i/c Officer (Wallie Robinson) to accompany a rifle drill squad down to the triangular area on Butchers Bridge Road (just below the 'B' in Butchers) and give a demonstration of rifle drill. They were all flabbergasted that I could go through the whole drill sequences throwing the 13lb SMLE rifle around like a matchstick.
It was only the result of practicing those drills over and over, on a daily basis, for six whole weeks that enabled recruits to do that. They made us fit as lops and strong as oxen, but that didn't stop us from being terrified to death at the end of training when we were locked in a gas chamber until we were all screaming to get out…all good clean fun!
Message Thread | This response ↓|
- Header Belsfield school - Allan C. November 30, 2019, 10:28 am
- Re: Header Belsfield school - BJC November 30, 2019, 1:07 pm
- Re: Header Belsfield school - Margaret November 30, 2019, 4:36 pm
- Re: Header Belsfield school - john (doncaster) November 30, 2019, 7:28 pm
- Re: Header Belsfield school - Don Scott November 30, 2019, 9:04 pm
- Re: Header Belsfield school - Norman Dunn December 1, 2019, 12:04 pm
- Re: Header Belsfield school - Ken Turpin December 2, 2019, 3:46 pm
- Ken - Don Scott December 2, 2019, 5:13 pm
- Re: Ken - Don Scott December 2, 2019, 6:01 pm
- Re: Ken - Ken Turpin December 2, 2019, 6:49 pm
- Re: Ken - Don Scott December 2, 2019, 6:59 pm
« Back to index | View thread »
Recommended Local History websites.