Thanks for visiting. Please recommend us
[ Post a Response | Thanks for visiting. Please recommend us ]
No Politics or swearing and No derogatory remarks about ex Teachers etc.
More Newcastle facts no4 The Keep
Posted by Stan Wears on January 25, 2020, 9:26 amEdited by administrator Admin1 January 25, 2020, 10:48 am
The fir�st one was built in 1080 by Robert Curthose,oldest son of William the Conqueror. His surname came as curt meaning curtailed and hose meaning legs hence short legs. The stone keep was designed by a Frenchman named Maurice for Henry II in 1172. He never came here to live. No one slept in it although there are chambers. That's because the spirits were allowed to rise from the chapel. The original roof was wood and flat. John Dobson added the battlements and stone roof. It once had several floors now gone.. interesting and worth a visit..
Recommended Local History websites.