Thanks for visiting. Please recommend us
[ Post a Response | Thanks for visiting. Please recommend us ]
No Politics or swearing and No derogatory remarks about ex Teachers etc.
Re: Metric etc
Posted by Allan Campbel on February 1, 2020, 7:17 pm, in reply to "Re: Brexit
Started Palmers DO in Jan 1958. Worked with imperial until metric came in but had already adapted to both.
Driving I use Miles and MPG however in France converting Distance on French Road signs no bother just automatic conversion taking 5/8 or more simply 60% which is near enough.
Sat Nav set for miles.
When working in garden etc. Use imperial, why because my handspan is 9 inches.
If a steel tape required I use either maybe because when refurbishing an old building you find slates and some timbers are imperial with later stuff being metric.
With weight itís metric but donít need it much. Our bathroom scales switched to imperial. If I pick up something itís imperial just that all my old weights for my diving weight belt were in Lbs 2ís 6ís or 12ís and I still have 30 to 36 lbs of them, just used to weigh down sheeting etc.
At the moment I am debating how to dispose of my 2 diving life jackets from the late 80ís they, plus my dive knife are all that I have left from those fantastic Scuba days.
In say 10 years there may be nobody left that used imperial with one exception those that work on classic cars, lorries, trains. Whitworth threads comes to mind.
Message Thread | This response ↓|
- Brexit - Joseph January 31, 2020, 11:57 pm
- Re: Brexit - Don Scott February 1, 2020, 1:11 am
- Re: Brexit - Allan Campbell February 1, 2020, 9:19 am
- Re: Brexit and Macron - Allan Campbell February 1, 2020, 9:53 am
- Re: Brexit - Mac Cummings February 1, 2020, 9:54 am
- Re: Brexit - Eddy Nesbitt. February 1, 2020, 2:42 pm
- Re: Brexit - Ray Forster February 1, 2020, 3:20 pm
- Re: Brexit - john(doncaster February 1, 2020, 3:36 pm
- Re: Brexit - Mac Hardy February 1, 2020, 4:28 pm
- Re: Brexit - Laurence February 1, 2020, 4:48 pm
- Re: Brexit - Barrie Mortimer February 1, 2020, 5:26 pm
- Re: Metric etc - Allan Campbel February 1, 2020, 7:17 pm
- Re: Brexit - Davy February 1, 2020, 8:05 pm
- Hawthorne Leslie coimment - s February 1, 2020, 9:47 pm
« Back to index | View thread »
Recommended Local History websites.