Depending on the father’s occupation, the children could have moved about and been baptised outside the areas they were born.
St Mary’s (where James Campbell was baptised 1829) proudly claims to be the “Mother Church”, not only of Greenock, but of the whole area of Lower Clydeside. Established in 1808 as the Greenock Mission, its early priests served a wide area, stretching from Dumbarton to Ayrshire. Several of the parishes in the surrounding district were founded directly from St Mary’s.
« Back to index | View thread »