Using Google Street view, St Johns vicarage does not seem to have a surrounding wall like the one in the photograph, and, as both the St Oswalds and St Cuthberts walls look similar to the wall with the plaque, James checked those first.
As Don cleverly pointed out, the brickwork pattern is Flemish Bond with black headers – well spotted, Don, as that seems to nicely cancel out St Oswalds and St Cuthberts. Thank you for that, Don:
Flemish bond with black headers:
This bond is laid with headers alternating with a stretcher and each course staggered by about half a brick. Its first use in England was in 1631, but it only really gained popularity in the late eighteenth century. It then became the dominant brickwork for housing for over a century.
It is highly probable that the wall was removed shortly after the photograph of the plaque was taken - though, as a delightful clue to our research, some of that Flemish wall might be remaining somewhere… it’s just finding it if it’s there. This leaves us to wonder if the plaque survived.
Message Thread | This response ↓
« Back to index | View thread »