The Old Town Hall in South Shields was built in 1768 by the Dean and Chapter of Durham as the centrepiece of the new Market Place (c.1767) and is located at the end of King Street. It was built as a place for holding Manorial Courts and as offices for officials of the Dean and Chapter. The building and rights to the market tolls were sold to the corporation in 1855. A much larger replacement town hall was completed in 1910. The Old Town Hall was restored in 1977 and the building is Grade 1 Listed.
Message Thread | This response ↓
« Back to index | View thread »