From Bowburn Local History Records:
12 September 1960
Rev. William Armstrong became Perpetual Curate / Vicar of Cassop-cum-Quarrington and moved into the new vicarage.
WA was born in 1929 and brought up near Stanley, where his father was land agent for the Derwent Coal Co. at Hare Law. He had attended King’s College, Newcastle, in 1946, University College, Durham, in 1950 and Salisbury Theological College in 1952. He was ordained deacon in June 1954 and priest in 1955, by the Bishop of Durham. He had been curate of St. Cuthbert’s, Hebburn, 1954-55, Ferryhill 1955-57 and St. Mary’s, Gateshead (in the curacy of Holy Trinity) 1957-60.
(Sources: Durham Diocesan Calendar 1965; Northern Echo (or Durham Advertiser?) 17 November 1965; K. L. Turns, 2007.)
« Back to index | View thread »