1866 Tennant brought together various alkali makers to form the Tharsis Sulphur and Copper Co to take over pyrite mines in southern Spain.
The Tharsis Sulphur and Copper Company, Limited, whose headquarters are in Glasgow, have six large extracting works for the purpose of dealing with the residue of the pyrites which they import from Spain. These pyrites consist of sulphur, iron, and copper, and small quantities of other metals. They are first supplied to the alkali and manure makers, who burn of the sulphur, converting it into sulphuric acid. After this has been done, the residue, consisting principally of peroxide of iron with copper, is operated on in the works of the Tharsis Company, at Hebburn. The Brothers Scott, the representatives of the company at Newcastle, acted as guides.
Message Thread | This response ↓
« Back to index | View thread »