Welcome to our Forum & Local History Archive
[ Post a Response | Welcome to our Forum & Local History Archive ]
Rules! No Politics,swearing,derogatory remarks or we delete. Anyone sharing our content on Face Book must credit 'Hebburn and our Neighbours'.
Posted by Don Scott on October 21, 2020, 6:19 pm
For reasons best forgotten a similar thread below was disturbed. However, I have been watching those TV episodes and really enjoy them because I had my own little Spitfire Factory going a couple of years ago. The R/C model I built is an 83" span Mk.1A version, the type flown in the Battle of Britain (July/August 1940). It is powered by a very powerful 2Kw motor driving a 22" propeller. Although I have taxi tested it and done a practice take off run, it has never been flown. Main reasons were two cataract removals which have given me trouble and of course, the Covid thing.
The aircraft has what you might call 'vanity' code letters DWS (my initials) but are factual. DW was the code for 610 (County Chester) Squadron based at Biggin Hill (TV Spitfire Factory) during the 'battle' and S, the aircraft code letter. There were at least three aircraft with that individual code due to losses. This particular aircraft, R6686, was brought down by ME Bf109s over Ramsgate and crashed near Eastry. The pilot, Sgt. Stanley J Arnfield, baled out and suffered a broken ankle. He went on the fly Lancasters and was awarded the DFC. He died in 1954.
The photos show the model during building stage, at the model field during trials, and Sgt. Arnfield who retired with rank of Acting Sqdn/Ldr. I donít know if this sort of thing is of interest to anyone but I could put other similar stuff up from time to timeÖdonít want to bore anyone though.
- Spitfire Factory - Don Scott October 21, 2020, 6:19 pm
« Back to index | View thread »
- Re: Spitfire Factory - Allan Campbell October 21, 2020, 7:13 pm
- Re: Spitfire Factory - Stan Wears October 21, 2020, 9:24 pm
- Re: Spitfire Factory - Don Scott October 21, 2020, 10:39 pm
- Re: Blenheim St. model shop - Allan Campbell October 21, 2020, 10:58 pm
- Re: Blenheim St. model shop - Brian October 22, 2020, 12:41 am
- Re: Blenheim St. model shop - Stan Wears October 22, 2020, 7:45 am
- Re: Bob Rountree 22 Crawley Ave. 1950 ish - Allan Campbell October 22, 2020, 8:54 am
- Brian... - Don Scott October 22, 2020, 12:06 pm
- Stan... - Don Scott October 22, 2020, 12:16 pm
- Re: Brian... - Brian October 22, 2020, 12:29 pm
- Re: Don - Stan Wears October 22, 2020, 4:57 pm
- Stan - Don Scott October 22, 2020, 8:42 pm
- Re: Stan - John Mills October 23, 2020, 12:49 am
- Re: Don! - Stan Wears October 23, 2020, 10:40 pm
Recommended Local History websites.