Re: What lovely memories...Chris W
Good to hear that Chris. My guess on the numbers are from the viewpoint of a 13 year old in 1955. The men would be packed in. The entrance to St. Rollox St. backed up to the gable ends of the Newton Terr. Houses. The entrance to Clennel also full but you could get past at the gable wall of the terraced houses. Victoria Rd. west sometimes past 123.
One thing that I never found out was the AirRaid shelter at 121, what happened to it. As I understand it was big and maybe sunk deep as G/Pts were big. I seem to remember seeing some remains near the garage of 123 about 5 feet away from its wall. As far as I know it was filled in but itís lower walls were not demolished. There again I was too young to ask the right questions and later never got a straight answer from Dadís sister who lived there at the time and took over the house in 1960 and lived there until say 1990 ish.
After Dadís sister and husband moved out I wonder what the new owners found up in the loft. I used to find all sorts of stuff. I assume Dad put things up there as G/F was to big to get up there. Dadís sisters son must have had a good ferret around before he left home. Iíll have to ask him.
Message Thread | This response ↓|
- What is your favourite thing or memory about Jarrow, Hebburn or The Felling, etcetera? - Barry Cram January 23, 2021, 5:10 pm
- Re: What is your favourite thing or memory about Jarrow, Hebburn or The Felling, etcetera? - Sheila January 23, 2021, 6:01 pm
- Re: What is your favourite thing or memory about Jarrow, Hebburn or The Felling, etcetera? - Allan Campbell January 23, 2021, 6:59 pm
- Re: What I failed to mention about New Years Eve - Allan Campbell January 24, 2021, 10:35 am
- What lovely memories... - Barry Cram January 24, 2021, 3:01 pm
« Back to index | View thread »