Norman Dunn's 'Hebburn and our Neighbours Forum'
[ Post a Response | Norman Dunn's 'Hebburn and our Neighbours Forum' ]
Rules! No Politics,swearing,derogatory remarks or we delete. Anyone sharing our content on Face Book must credit 'Hebburn and our Neighbours'.
Welsh not English
Posted by Mac Cummings on June 8, 2021, 18:15:29, in reply to "Just for fun
In the late 70's it became fashionable to speaK Welsh in South Wales even though the majority of the population didnt understand it. The PC brigade got it to be a compulsary subject in schools (my daughter had to learn it) and Harlech TV were badgered into dubbing their monday night film into Welsh with no English subtitles.
I remember watching Gunsmoke with Audie Murphy. It was a hoot to see hime leap off his horse saying "Helo chi i gyd" (hi you all). None of the people in Gwent understood a word.
A bloke wrote to the local paper (South Wales Argus) pointing out that in Monmouth there were only 15 people who could speak Welsh but 57 natural Chinese speakers and could future films be in Chinese please!!
The films in Welsh didnt last long after that.
- Macron throwing out dummy re use of English in EU - Mac Cummings June 8, 2021, 12:09:02
- Re: Macron throwing out dummy re use of English in EU - Liz Dance June 8, 2021, 12:21:09
- Re: Macron throwing out dummy re use of English in EU - John Shearer June 8, 2021, 12:49:41
- Just for fun - FredB June 8, 2021, 17:37:07
- Welsh not English - Mac Cummings June 8, 2021, 18:15:29
- Re: Just for fun - Brian June 8, 2021, 19:53:55
« Back to index | View thread »
Recommended Local History websites.