Norman Dunn's 'Hebburn and our Neighbours Forum'
[ Post a Response | Norman Dunn's 'Hebburn and our Neighbours Forum' ]
Rules! No Politics,swearing,derogatory remarks or we delete. Anyone sharing our content on Face Book must credit 'Hebburn and our Neighbours'.
Re: Saturday's header of Hawthorn Leslie's men
When l left CLegwell school in 1955 l was promised an apprenticeship at Palmers in the joiners shop,starting in August ,in the mean time to fill in my time before then,an offer of an apprentice Welder came up at Leslie's,seeing some of my mates doing the same,in Palmers l l started and my first job was working with Joe Metcalfe backing up on a welding machine with a hoover swooping up the Flux made from the weld it created a lot of fumes which l did not like,so my first impression and induction to welding was not good,welders working near by were welding and l would get flashes not so good when sitting up stairs at the GEM with the girl friend with my eyes streaming also painfull.that made up my mind it was not for me.Joe Metcalfe l remember was a nice man he was well known for his sport mainly football,he tried to exsplain that welding was something fore the future wages were very good,l ended up working at my apprenticeship in the Jioners shop in Palmers. ps My father Jakey Barker and his two brothers Tom and Joe were Riviters they were made redundant when Welding came along.Ironic don't you think! tb
Message Thread | This response ↓|
- Saturday's header of Hawthorn Leslie's men - Norman Dunn August 21, 2021, 8:33:24
- Re: Saturday's header of Hawthorn Leslie's men - John Shearer August 21, 2021, 10:28:42
- Re: Saturday's header of Hawthorn Leslie's men - Chris Wilson August 21, 2021, 11:38:40
- Re: Saturday's header of Hawthorn Leslie's men - Tom Barker August 21, 2021, 12:07:26
- Re: Saturday's header of Hawthorn Leslie's men - Jim Gemmell August 21, 2021, 20:14:46
- Re: Saturday's header of Hawthorn Leslie's men - Eddy Nesbitt. August 22, 2021, 11:29:09
« Back to index | View thread »
Recommended Local History websites.