Interesting Local History
Posted by John K on March 26, 2020, 11:07 am
ROMAN STONES FROM JARROW |
Although Jarrow is historically more closely associated with the Anglo-Saxon, rather than the Roman period, it has a number of interesting connections with the Roman Wall. Roman stones were used in the construction of the Anglo-Saxon monastery of St Pauls here and in 1866 two inscribed Roman stones were found during repairs on its nave. The wording on the stones could only be partly seen, but appeared to read:
'The Barbarians were scattered
and the province of Britain freed.
A boundary was established
between the two oceans
a distance of 80 miles...'
A leading authority on the Roman wall, has suggested that these inscribed stones belonged to a statue dedicated to the Emperor Hadrian, which may possibly have stood at the mouth of the River Tyne. The Venerable Bede, during his time at Jarrow, was well aware of the significant Roman remains in the vicinity and he was the first Anglo-Saxon to record the existence of Hadrian's Wall. It was Bede that gave the name 'Vallum' to the defensive Roman earthwork that runs just south of Hadrian's Wall.