Here is a Pic with Info thanks to Gateshead LibraryArchives
Posted by Norman Dunn on November 12, 2020, 12:19 pm, in reply to "Re: Bill Quay Fire 142 years ago"
The photograph shows the river front at Bill Quay. Barnett’s paint works are shown in the centre of the picture. The frontage displays “Hoyle, Robson and Barnett Ltd. Manufacturers of Paints, Dry Colours, Varnishes etc. Established 1818”. That year Richard Hoyle, a Cambridge chemist, took over an old colour works. A paint works had been established in Bill Quay as early as 1787. It was then described as a “Paint House” and was occupied by a chemist named Harrison. After various changes of ownership of the business, Barnett became principal shareholder in 1856. In the early 20th century Dampney and Co. became the new owners of the business. The factory had its own quay. Bill Quay Terraces are shown behind the works. |