Re: Sunday's header
Posted by Tom Lynch on February 7, 2021, 12:36:02, in reply to "Sunday's header"
On 22nd July 1863 Mrs Jane Palmer laid the foundation stone for the Jarrow Mechanic's Institute. On 29th August 1864 it was opened to the public. In the afternoon there was a grand demonstration and procession of the trade’s union’s, friendly societies and other bodies of workmen connected with the town when they marched through the principal streets to the Quay Corner and back to the institute in Ellison Street when it was Declared open by C M Palmer Esq. |
Amongst the company present were Sir Walter James (Bart), Sir Hedworth Williamson (Bart), MP, Robert Gingham MP, Rev W.P. Philip rector, Addison Potter Esq., Rev T. White (the first secretary) Mr John Mclntyre, Mr T. C. Marshall and a large number of ladies and gentlemen. On 17th October 1877 the foundation stone of the new South wing of the Mechanics Institute was laid by C. M. Palmer MP. The building’s distinctive clock was a gift from Lady Northbourne, who also gave the Grade II Listed Christ Church to the people of Jarrow.
Once boasting an extensive library and reading rooms, again donated by Palmer, the Mechanic’s Institute went on to become the town’s most popular dance hall, throughout the 1930s, 40s and 50s, when it was popularly known as ‘The Max’. The building later became known as Jarrow Civic Hall. Planning permission for a mixed use development was approved in May 2011.
Sources - Jarrowcivic.co.uk, twsitelines.info, Paul Perry