i think the "respectable showing" thing comes from higher than the DIA
i think we've just had a really unlucky run trying to hire guys. RT and RZ had what looked like your ideal rebuild, but couldn't sustain it. We hired Beckman in a bad year - a year earlier and we wind up with Jerry Kill out of NIU, a year later and we wind up with Doeren out of NIU. Both of those guys probably jump at our job and turn it around (at least for a little while in Kill's case.) Lovie was a splashy name, but we all knew the risks when he was hired (can he recruit? can he adapt to the college game?) and they were big risks.
Some tiny QB was warming up for us and I said out loud " okay, maybe we'll get back to the Rose Bowl some other year ".
As Detlef has said many times... "those were the days".
What chaps my azz these days is how little our DIA seems to care. "Respectable showing" seems to be their goal.
Eh. Rant over.
Message Thread | This response ↓|
Bill Connelly with a good college fball thread analyzing team S&P+ over program history - illiniranger August 13, 2019, 9:50:17
- UVA... woof * - illiniranger August 13, 2019, 15:16:07
- I'm sure these are broadly accurate but everything pre-2005 is just an estimated rating - IB August 13, 2019, 15:03:29
- Illini: - roughy August 13, 2019, 14:40:29
- if you draw a trend line summarizing our trend line, we've been on overall decline since Grange* - ArtVandelay August 14, 2019, 5:20:16
- "None of this makes any damn sense" - Blazer August 13, 2019, 23:02:48
- Iím too lazy to research S&P, can someone summarize this graph to me like Iím a 5 year old?* - OB25 August 13, 2019, 21:58:40
- "Above 500 for 5 straight years (exclamation point)." Ugh. That's our highlight. - osklister August 13, 2019, 15:22:01
- Boy, Coach Death Penalty - Chicago Joe August 13, 2019, 15:18:01
- that looks like my ekg when my heart freaked out* - Mrap24 August 13, 2019, 14:59:08
- It makes perfect sense - jdl August 13, 2019, 14:53:44
- dead cat bounce at the end there? * - ijustkrushalot August 13, 2019, 14:47:52
- that's a rough decade* - reggiedunlop August 13, 2019, 14:42:16
- he just put ours up - illiniranger August 13, 2019, 14:40:08
- fbo's site only has stats going back to 2005, so our graph isn't very illuminiating - biclops August 13, 2019, 10:38:56
- man, look at the nurds title team last year* - reggiedunlop August 13, 2019, 10:21:01
« Back to index | View thread »