Nit - I’m a P.T. - not an athletic trainer. But...
Return to sport rate following ACL repair is quite high in elite male athletes (>90% within two years).
There is considerable wiggle room when discussing the performance level at which an athlete gets back to - but return to “full pre-injury” level is is generally around 75%.
Reinjury rate is about 25-30% - with the greatest risk in that first year, but there is also relatively new research that shows improvements in that number due to advancements in rehab protocol development.
As for meniscus damage incidence along with an ACL tear, it’s quite common but less so in the younger population.
I think the additional damage that occurs with an ACL tear may determine the recovery process.
My dad's a dentist (hah I know) and he took a couple sports medicine classes and also played college football so I feel like I have a good grasp on sports injuries just by absorbing info from him for 20ish years.
BUT... I am wondering if anyone in here is in the know on ACL recovery success rate. My first thought with Marquez was "when he comes back he better be 100% healthy," because I don't want it to be a situation where he's a true senior and just doesn't quite have the explosiveness because he's been banged up most of his career.
So whether he's out for a few weeks, a few months, or a year, I just want him to be back to 100% so we get four years of a mostly healthy (it is football after all) top 100 prospect.
I did some reading, because the internet is always right, and it seems like he should be able to make a full recovery. But there's enough anecdotal evidence out there that I wanted to see if there's any professionals who can speak to this. I mean the dude has world class speed and explosiveness, so I'd wonder what a doctor thinks the odds are of him getting back to that are.
I guess Dudek looked explosive whenever he was out there pre-injuries, so maybe he was back to 100% but just more susceptible to re-injury. Maybe that's what I should be more worried about with Marquez rather than getting back to 100%?
This is all under the assumption it's an ACL tear. Hoping for something like an MCL sprain.
#illini freshman CB Marquez Beason was carted off the practice field Tuesday with a knee injury head coach Lovie Smith called 'concerning.'
He returned to sideline with a knee brace and crutches. https://t.co/AwIYDdprTo
— Jeremy Werner (@JWerner247) August 13, 2019
Message Thread | This response ↓|
Ugh, Beason down with a knee injury, carted off field - jdl August 13, 2019, 12:31:31
- you know the sexy Isaiah Williams QB comp we've never made? McKenzie Milton - illiniranger August 15, 2019, 16:27:47
- this guy put up some practice highlights today on his Twitter feed - illiniranger August 15, 2019, 15:21:25
- free student tickets for Nebraska game. - Detlef August 15, 2019, 13:40:57
- (not major) update - jdl August 15, 2019, 12:54:08
- welp, no good news seems like very bad news* - reggiedunlop August 15, 2019, 12:55:55
- the "significant knee injury" statement seems like a direct indication of bad news* - Orangeillini August 15, 2019, 12:59:16
- I'm just the opposite. Lovie's rule is he won't talk about injuries unless they're season-ending. - roughy August 15, 2019, 12:58:28
- How did he describe Edwin Carter's injury last year?* - Wes August 15, 2019, 13:55:16
- (no subject) - CanHartlebHireSnider August 15, 2019, 14:09:27
- They immediately announced he’d miss the season* - CanHartlebHireSnider August 15, 2019, 14:09:25
- "I thought he was dead" - jdl August 15, 2019, 14:04:59
- Don't remember* - roughy August 15, 2019, 14:01:20
- Everything I can find in searching articles is that they say Lovie revealed he'd miss the season - jayd August 15, 2019, 14:00:50
- Beason himself said he playing this on social media after the injury* - JacobRDaugherty August 15, 2019, 13:35:13
- Is "significant knee injury" not talking about it? * - Taz August 15, 2019, 13:30:10
- Yeah exactly my take - CanHartlebHireSnider August 15, 2019, 13:18:55
- Doesn't necessarily mean "he will be back". - roughy August 15, 2019, 13:32:47
- True but if this is say more a 6-8 week injury I’d expect Beason to be back* - CanHartlebHireSnider August 15, 2019, 13:35:12
- Week 8 from today is Michigan* - CanHartlebHireSnider August 15, 2019, 13:42:48
- Illinois is losing to Michigan in the second half and OH MY GOD IS THAT MARQUEZ BEASON'S MUSIC??* - roughy August 15, 2019, 13:45:46
- Imagine if we somehow end up going into that game 5-0 - CanHartlebHireSnider August 15, 2019, 13:48:28
- I mean, that was the original idea behind "October 12, 2019" in my Twitter bio - roughy August 15, 2019, 13:50:26
- At the risk of being a major chicken little... - OB25 August 15, 2019, 14:02:25
- I don't believe we also suck - Taz August 15, 2019, 14:34:44
- I’m not chalking up any games as wins - CanHartlebHireSnider August 15, 2019, 14:15:36
- Last years UCONN is probably the worst team in the history of D1A football - illiniranger August 15, 2019, 14:13:07
- That's not chicken little. I'm terrified of that game. - roughy August 15, 2019, 14:10:00
- We play a "major conference" road game every other year or so. Here's the results since 2002: - roughy August 15, 2019, 14:19:15
- All of those teams are also way better than uconn* - Taz August 15, 2019, 14:32:33
- That’s tough to look at. I do remember being happy about our garbage time TD’s vs. Miznoz in ‘08 - OB25 August 15, 2019, 14:31:43
- It'd be interesting to add the final record of those teams.* - longsnapper August 15, 2019, 14:27:16
- Man that's depressing. At that WA game, 1/2 the stands left at halftime to go to the beer garden* - IlliniRunner August 15, 2019, 14:25:04
- Every single one of those were bowl teams save for Syracuse - CanHartlebHireSnider August 15, 2019, 14:23:29
- Yep, and someone said that Beason said on his instagram.... - illinidarrin August 15, 2019, 13:15:51
- So you're saying he can rush his rehab to return too early this year then blow it completely out? - DT August 15, 2019, 13:07:25
- Alrighty, I am jumping to your train* - reggiedunlop August 15, 2019, 12:59:12
- New (I think) Rivals 250 out - UofIL6 August 14, 2019, 13:50:14
- Can we stop posting in this thread unless it's an actual update about beason? * - Taz August 14, 2019, 10:35:25
- We got any deucers who are doctors? - AyBayBalas August 13, 2019, 17:39:41
- mother####er, poor kid* - Blazer August 13, 2019, 17:13:02
- Re: Ugh, Beason down with a knee injury, carted off field - chorizo August 13, 2019, 16:20:29
- ooh I get to use this again - biclops August 13, 2019, 13:36:49
- yup* - OWWDig August 13, 2019, 13:58:00
- welp* - reggiedunlop August 13, 2019, 13:33:45
- So, what's the story with Dylan Wyatt? What's wrong with him?* - opossum jenkins August 13, 2019, 13:25:43
- Darkness warshed over the Dude... darker than a black steer’s tookas on a moonless prairie night. * - uofi1998 August 13, 2019, 13:20:55
- Damn, that really sucks.* - OB25 August 13, 2019, 13:19:08
- what are the 5 stages of grief again? - illiniranger August 13, 2019, 13:12:41
- Is it at least slightly reassuring that he watched the rest of practice? Maybe? WCIA tweet inside. - Smitto August 13, 2019, 13:01:41
- at times we wondered if he could play both ways - illini21 August 13, 2019, 12:56:15
- Cursed.* - LeatherneckIllini August 13, 2019, 12:53:43
- Of course. ####. * - VIV August 13, 2019, 12:53:41
- Happens every year* - opossum jenkins August 13, 2019, 12:52:01
- At least it's not a starter? - roughy August 13, 2019, 12:51:39
- That ####ing sucks* - snipes824 August 13, 2019, 12:44:00
- they should play barefoot* - biclops August 13, 2019, 12:40:22
- super* - MJC73 August 13, 2019, 12:39:30
- weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee* - Mrap24 August 13, 2019, 12:37:26
- Sports are stupid. * - MC August 13, 2019, 12:37:02
- next walkon up* - Sammich August 13, 2019, 12:36:35
- Every nice shiny thing ever - BradUnderwoodforprez August 13, 2019, 12:35:58
- Roughy: What does the 2021 three deep look like?* - Chilango August 13, 2019, 12:33:19
- chortle* - Detlef August 13, 2019, 12:35:30
- expected at this point* - OrangeSox August 13, 2019, 12:32:59
- Nice things not allowed* - UofIL6 August 13, 2019, 12:32:43
- Damn. - ihpsdm August 13, 2019, 12:32:37
- so illinois* - jayd August 13, 2019, 12:32:06
- mother ####ing #### * - illiniranger August 13, 2019, 12:31:56
« Back to index | View thread »