Alabamaís endowment: 890 million.
So, not really.
In the increased exposure, donations across the board (winning football games are a great time to ask for money), etc.
Itís not a guarantee, but a winning football program has a ROI.
That that money should be freed up, given the funding situation. Go, fat boy, go.
For example, the University could decide to free up money for the DIA by not charging for the football teams scholarships. 85 players (assume theyíre all paying in state tuition at 25k), and the DIS suddenly has $2.125mm to spend on the bestvasst coaches Monet can buy. UI has ~$3bn endowment, the $2.125mm is a rounding error. If you have to waive an equal number of womenís scholly s to make it Title IX compliant, fine. They could charge the DIA 0 for scholly across the board and it would be near meaningless. Thatís only 670 students. If total enrollment of the gen pop dropped by 670 the Chancellor wouldnít bat an eye.
The moneys there to pay for a lot of shit
and not an afterthought. when your chancellor says "the next time someone tells you how bad your football program is, tell them we've won xx Nobel Prizes" that tells you all you need to know about what he thinks of athletic success.
What does that mean in real terms? Line up more money for the DIA to hire the best coaches and coaching staffs. Line up more money for the DIA to build facilities with. That could mean an active role in trying to raise more money, or it could mean letting the DIA keep more of its share of the revenues that it generates. Little more oversight and leadership of the DIA, let the AD know that he doesn't get a million years to try and right the ship. IMO Whitman is going to get multiple bites at the apple as long as he runs a clean ship and keeps the money rolling in (it will thanks to the TV contracts.) Support the AD with money for a big contract buyout if necessary. Loosen admissions requirements if you think that's necessary (i don't agree with you that our admissions standards are as low as anyone) Overall bring a sense of urgency through leadership. Don't take your hand off the wheel and tell the AD "you got it," if he don't got it. There's an intangible quality to executive leadership that is hard to measure, and i think that we are missing it here.
Whatís the big problem? It doesnít seem like our academic standards are really any higher than the NCAA tells us they have to be, since the early 90ís or so. And maybe there was pressure from on high to run a clean ship after the basketball probation, but that hasnít seemed to be true for quite a while, either.
What else should, say, the Chancellor be doing, or not doing?
I agree, it's not (entirely) the DIA's doing. There seems to be very little demand/cooperation from above that level. Grrr. :-((((
Message Thread | This response ↓|
Bill Connelly with a good college fball thread analyzing team S&P+ over program history - illiniranger August 13, 2019, 9:50:17
- UVA... woof * - illiniranger August 13, 2019, 15:16:07
- I'm sure these are broadly accurate but everything pre-2005 is just an estimated rating - IB August 13, 2019, 15:03:29
- Illini: - roughy August 13, 2019, 14:40:29
- if you draw a trend line summarizing our trend line, we've been on overall decline since Grange* - ArtVandelay August 14, 2019, 5:20:16
- "None of this makes any damn sense" - Blazer August 13, 2019, 23:02:48
- Iím too lazy to research S&P, can someone summarize this graph to me like Iím a 5 year old?* - OB25 August 13, 2019, 21:58:40
- "Above 500 for 5 straight years (exclamation point)." Ugh. That's our highlight. - osklister August 13, 2019, 15:22:01
- Boy, Coach Death Penalty - Chicago Joe August 13, 2019, 15:18:01
- that looks like my ekg when my heart freaked out* - Mrap24 August 13, 2019, 14:59:08
- It makes perfect sense - jdl August 13, 2019, 14:53:44
- dead cat bounce at the end there? * - ijustkrushalot August 13, 2019, 14:47:52
- that's a rough decade* - reggiedunlop August 13, 2019, 14:42:16
- he just put ours up - illiniranger August 13, 2019, 14:40:08
- fbo's site only has stats going back to 2005, so our graph isn't very illuminiating - biclops August 13, 2019, 10:38:56
- man, look at the nurds title team last year* - reggiedunlop August 13, 2019, 10:21:01
« Back to index | View thread »