I assumed it was sort of the second
On my last car, I actually totally forgot to check on my tires for a while, until we got some snow and I was getting zero traction. So I took a look, and holy shit! I had zero tread left. Like, zero--the tires were basically smooth rubber. So probably 10-20k miles at least past when they'd have been recommended for replacement. But they still worked, and hadn't blown, or anything.
So at the point where most folks are replacing their tires, there's still a fair bit of usable tread on them. Traction is probably well down, but they still work as tires.
And given that new tires now run $100+ each, I can definitely understand there being a secondary market for folks who can't afford that but still need a new one because of a flat, or whatever. I assume the used tires get sold for a song--just to avoid disposal fees is probably a win for a tire place.
Alternatively, they might be salvaged tires from totaled cars, and there's enough of a market there to have specialized used tire sales apart from a normal junk yard.
If the tires were still good, wouldn't they still be on the car they came from?
Or is it like Goodwill, where someone decides they don't want to wear that $150 dress shirt anymore because it has ring around the collar and pit stains, but someone further down the economic ladder might think "hey, I just got this $150 shirt for $4!"?
Message Thread | This response ↓|
Shopping for tires - what am I looking for? - Kimmerz August 13, 2019, 15:19:22
- I got the minivan in the divorce. She had it for 2+ years while we were separated - Jack McMurdo August 14, 2019, 10:20:53
- Sidejack - got a new tire installed, but it leaks. Wheel looks (visually) in pretty rough shape. - gvibes August 14, 2019, 9:38:17
- if you dont care and want a decent price, just hit a Just Tires, etc - gig August 14, 2019, 9:22:51
- I got a tire replaced yesterday at 47th and Racine. It took 15 minutes and cost $10* - longsnapper August 14, 2019, 8:39:24
- Somewhat-related tangent: I don't undestand used tire stores. - Tortillini August 14, 2019, 8:21:21
- Costco almost always require you to order in advance - CubsWonWorldSeries August 13, 2019, 23:09:53
- Check the roundness* - RSMBob August 13, 2019, 22:02:17
- Just go to costco* - Herman Blume August 13, 2019, 17:09:43
- Tire Rack* - ATL August 13, 2019, 17:04:08
- I’d stick with Michelin, Continental, or Bridgestone* - ECEIllinois August 13, 2019, 17:01:20
- The lowest price tire with a UTQG rating over 650* - timmer August 13, 2019, 15:29:26
- Round rubber things that help propel your car down the road, and don't call me Shirley. * - doubledown August 13, 2019, 15:24:51
- Goodyear Comfortread* - Stu August 13, 2019, 15:22:50
- Least expensive that have a decent rating * - Samricky August 13, 2019, 15:21:44
- Four thousand miles a year? Get some that are middle of the line and rubber and you're fine* - BradUnderwoodforprez August 13, 2019, 15:20:42
« Back to index | View thread »