They usually recommend people change tires in sets.
If you have a front end issue, for example, and one tire wears funny, they suggest you change both (after fixing the issue) so the car doesn't drive weird. When they swap them out, one tire is toast, but the other is usually still OK for a while. Someone on a tight budget blows a tire, they're looking for one they can put on that will get them by-they'll throw a used tire on there until they get paid, or can save up the $$4 for a set.
If the tires were still good, wouldn't they still be on the car they came from?
Or is it like Goodwill, where someone decides they don't want to wear that $150 dress shirt anymore because it has ring around the collar and pit stains, but someone further down the economic ladder might think "hey, I just got this $150 shirt for $4!"?
Message Thread | This response ↓|
Shopping for tires - what am I looking for? - Kimmerz August 13, 2019, 15:19:22
- I got the minivan in the divorce. She had it for 2+ years while we were separated - Jack McMurdo August 14, 2019, 10:20:53
- Sidejack - got a new tire installed, but it leaks. Wheel looks (visually) in pretty rough shape. - gvibes August 14, 2019, 9:38:17
- if you dont care and want a decent price, just hit a Just Tires, etc - gig August 14, 2019, 9:22:51
- I got a tire replaced yesterday at 47th and Racine. It took 15 minutes and cost $10* - longsnapper August 14, 2019, 8:39:24
- Somewhat-related tangent: I don't undestand used tire stores. - Tortillini August 14, 2019, 8:21:21
- Costco almost always require you to order in advance - CubsWonWorldSeries August 13, 2019, 23:09:53
- Check the roundness* - RSMBob August 13, 2019, 22:02:17
- Just go to costco* - Herman Blume August 13, 2019, 17:09:43
- Tire Rack* - ATL August 13, 2019, 17:04:08
- I’d stick with Michelin, Continental, or Bridgestone* - ECEIllinois August 13, 2019, 17:01:20
- The lowest price tire with a UTQG rating over 650* - timmer August 13, 2019, 15:29:26
- Round rubber things that help propel your car down the road, and don't call me Shirley. * - doubledown August 13, 2019, 15:24:51
- Goodyear Comfortread* - Stu August 13, 2019, 15:22:50
- Least expensive that have a decent rating * - Samricky August 13, 2019, 15:21:44
- Four thousand miles a year? Get some that are middle of the line and rubber and you're fine* - BradUnderwoodforprez August 13, 2019, 15:20:42
« Back to index | View thread »