Can we get some examples here.*
as opposed to having her constantly judge.
Believe I'm going to hell for being gay. They better not say that shit around me or my kids.
it happens. Such is life, no big deal.
What I'm not hearing is how, unlike me (and possibly Sounder?), if I accidentally curse in front of them or slip up and say something in support of something that I know they are adamantly against (democrats, homosexuality, abortion, etc.) or even JOKE about having a drink I'll spend the next 2 hours having to choose between (1) sitting there and listening to how my choices are wrong and are going to send me to hell, or (2) avoid the hell lecture by storming out of my own house, or (3) demanding they leave my house, thereby ruining any chance of any kind of relationship with them for however few years they have left.
None of those are good choices. So I choose an equally distasteful but ultimately less consequential path of avoiding judgement by biting my tougue and not doing any of those things... until they pull out of the driveway and it all comes spilling out of me like a dam finally breaking through. Then I take a deep breath and move on.
It's not as simple as "It's my house and I'm old enough to..." unless I choose to not have my side of the family in my life at all.
Message Thread | This response ↓|
How long is too long for your in laws to stay at your house? 0 days cannot be an answer. - DiamondDazzle October 9, 2019, 12:27:15
- My gf parents come and stay for 6 months - TarheelIllini October 9, 2019, 18:30:19
- 2 minutes.* - eta October 9, 2019, 18:14:30
- My in laws will never stay at our home. - MJC73 October 9, 2019, 16:26:14
- Same. * - harb October 9, 2019, 17:27:11
- 3 nights* - timmer October 9, 2019, 16:17:56
- I don't mind my in-laws visiting for a week to ten days - opey8 October 9, 2019, 14:28:25
- lol8* - DiamondDazzle October 9, 2019, 14:44:28
- 0 days. - SurfTheBoneyard October 9, 2019, 14:26:21
- 1 hour* - Stu October 9, 2019, 13:37:30
- for my wife she'd say 0, but 24 hours* - gig October 9, 2019, 13:29:25
- Well, mine is moving in so I’m several standard deviations away from the mean. * - Samricky October 9, 2019, 13:18:31
- Illness or financial issues etc. we’d do what is needed - digs October 9, 2019, 13:14:25
- It depends on how much I am allowed to drink while they are there* - Sounder October 9, 2019, 13:13:23
- oOo - KingTalkyTiki October 9, 2019, 13:12:44
- 10-14 days would probably be too much. - Chicago1995 October 9, 2019, 13:08:52
- 1 day* - Mrap24 October 9, 2019, 13:03:23
- 4 days* - DT October 9, 2019, 12:39:04
- It depends. I generally like my MIL. We've done several vacations together and it's fine - Taz October 9, 2019, 12:34:19
- 3 days* - gvibes October 9, 2019, 12:31:36
- Depends on how much you like them and the situation. - Kimmerz October 9, 2019, 12:31:27
- 0 days - IlliniSax05 October 9, 2019, 12:31:04
- Mine live 20 minutes away, so, 0 nights is an acceptable answer.* - SixthandGreen October 9, 2019, 12:30:08
- 42 hours.* - longsnapper October 9, 2019, 12:28:24
- >14 days* - ATL October 9, 2019, 12:28:17
« Back to index | View thread »