This man is very bendy*
Everyone else will be able to understand you, and I'd guess you're not the first foreigner who'd know that but be clueless about colloquial speech. So they'd be able to speak back to you to be understood.
And once you've gotten that to a functional level, maybe you could add in some colloquial ability.
And dialects are pretty much hopeless for anyone who didn't grow up with them. Basically no outsider ever learns those, or is expected to.
and order food or a drink, greetings around the office, etc. It's....not going well. It's so complicated, the vowel sounds are very different, and I can't understand a single thing in any conversation we hear in public. When I mentioned that to my Dutch teacher, she said because around town people aren't using the formal Dutch we are being taught.
An example from today's lesson, the question 'Did you get a bike?:
Proper Dutch, what we are learning and what is used in business - Heb je een fiets gekregen?
Colloquial Dutch, what you may say to colleagues or acquaintences - Hebt gij fiets gehad?
Informal dialect which you would speak with close friends (in this case, Antwerp dialect) - Hedde gij ne vlo gat?
It feels impossible to learn and compeltely futile to even try.
Message Thread | This response ↓|
I am taking Dutch lessons in hopes of one day being able to have brief, easy exchanges - opey8 October 10, 2019, 5:51:45
- On on Vandersexxx! - SurfTheBoneyard October 10, 2019, 12:35:36
- Ich bin ein Mann! - timmer October 10, 2019, 12:20:21
- not meant in a negative way, but have you learned/spoken a foreign language before? - torinese October 10, 2019, 11:26:12
- doesn't basically everyone in the netherlands speak english?* - gvibes October 10, 2019, 8:37:48
- My sister is doing a similar thing with Spanish - snipes824 October 10, 2019, 8:11:41
- I'm going to start on Czech - TarheelIllini October 10, 2019, 8:11:11
- here’s my question - biclops October 10, 2019, 7:50:25
- Is it like the usted form in spanish? - ijustkrushalot October 10, 2019, 6:13:07
- If the goal is being able to communicate, seems like learning proper Dutch would answer the mail - DT October 10, 2019, 6:10:56
« Back to index | View thread »